Thursday, January 24, 2008

I really didn't want to comment on this very unfortunate article by Meredith Broussard published in the January edition of Harper's magazine, what I had thought was a reputable magazine. Clearly I was wrong, since they appear to be missing a fact-checking department.

I did not want to give more attention to a writer who is spewing inaccuracies and casting aspersions on parents who are trying to prevent their severely allergic children from having life-threatening reactions.

But so many people have been discussing this story with me that I can't avoid it any longer. If you click the above link, it will take you to the magazine's web site. You have to register in order to read the story yourself, but you should. It's highly disturbing and basically states that parents of food-allergic kids are hysterics whose children's allergies are all in their heads. It also trashes the FAAN.

I know. It's crazy, but it's in print and unfortunately some people believe everything they read.

Obviously the biggest fear is the backlash that can result from an uneducated person promoting their harmful views in print and in other media. As we know, life is hard enough for food-allergic families, especially when others don't want to take our concerns seriously.

This author also recently appeared on New York Public Radio and I am glad to say, was lambasted by listeners who also posted their comments on the show's web site. If you can stomach it, listen to the segment.

The show received so much flak about Ms. Broussard's comments that they are now having a "rebuttal" show featuring a respected allergist and researcher on Thursday, January 31st at 11:40 a.m. central time (12:40 p.m. eastern time). Hopefully, Dr. Sampson of the Jaffe Food Allergy Institute will set the record straight. I know I'll be listening.

Education is the best defense. I'll bolster, not lessen, my efforts to support the FAAN. They are truly lifesavers and in no way deserving of anyone's demeaning comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment