Wednesday, January 16, 2008

First, a disclaimer. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, so if you have any questions, please always ask your medical professional. My advice is based on my own knowledge and experience.

I realized that my previous food label post was quite long and it would be helpful to have a "tips-only" version. So here it is:

A few suggestions when deciphering food labels:

  1. Look at the ingredients list carefully. Not all packaging contains a separate section that lists potential allergens. Therefore, you're going to have to know every possible term for "peanut" or "nut." For example, "marzipan" is almond paste, "filberts" are hazelnuts and "natural flavorings" can contain peanut. A little scientific knowledge on your part can make all the difference here.
  2. Understand that imported, ethnic or "gourmet" foods may not have the same allergy warning requirements as the U.S. Personally, as a Nut-Free Mom, I avoid Asian foods that have been imported (big peanut risk) or any food made in any other country if it looks like it contains potentially suspicious ingredients like unnamed oils or "natural flavorings." (Canada is one exception. They have similar food packaging standards to the U.S. In some cases, superior standards.) My family loves World Market and Trader Joe's, but use their products with care. Some contain allergy warnings but many don't. For the record, Trader Joe's products (those produced by TJ) tend to have very detailed allergy warnings, but be careful with their imported foods. They are open to questions about their foods, so contact them if you need more information on their products.
  3. Beware of chocolate. I mentioned it before, but I'll say it again, chocolate companies are notoriously inconsistent with their labeling. Only recently, Ghiradelli, for example, has started printing allergy warnings on all of their products, including their chocolate chips. Hershey and Baker's are brands that I have personally called (but we know how that can go) though I do feel I've done enough research to use some of their products. I also recommend Vermont Nut Free Chocolate. It is delicious, gourmet chocolate available in both eating and baking varieties and my whole family loves it.
  4. Review labels often. Food packaging labels are undergoing big changes due to new laws so what you thought was safe one day may not be tomorrow. Don't take anything for granted and be sure to update any of your child's caregivers when you notice a change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment