Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I've been seeing a lot of news about so-called "generic EpiPens" so I thought I would share this update that I received from my local food allergy support group.

There is a "generic" epinephrine injector that may be starting to circulate at pharmacies, so be aware if you receive one. Here is a link if you'd like to learn more.

The info I received states that these generic pens may work a little differently, so you'll need to be aware of how to use them, adjust your Food Allergy Action Plan (these usually contain instructions on using an EpiPen only) and let all your caregivers know about the change.

I know that depending on your insurance coverage, EpiPens cost a lot of money and we may end up throwing them away. It's always good to have a generic option, but I urge everyone with questions about this new epinephrine injector to consult with their allergist to see if it's right for them.

Has anyone received one of these? What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment