Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Yes, it's classroom party season again which means I've already got cupcakes in the freezer just waiting to be thawed and frosted Thursday night while I watch the Bravo channel.

It also means that -- unless we're going to be at the class party -- that it's time to remind the little ones not to eat anything except what Mom sent with them.

I only recently found out that, despite the fact I sent home-baked decorated cupcakes for the Halloween party, the Room Moms were offering a Halloween-themed punch that was filled with gummy worms as well as offering other candies to the class.

It sounds like a cute concept--except that gummy worms usually have nut allergy warnings. My daughter can't have them for that reason and she (bless her heart) read the gummy worms package herself and then asked one of the moms for a can of "plain" soda, explaining why.

I understand that plans change and parents want to use their creativity at a class party. The Room Moms in my daughter's class have been very nice to her and accommodating (and I've gone over the whole allergy thing with the "head" RM), but people aren't thinking about it, which means we need to really be on top of this. I'd suggest getting a list of foods they want to serve (if possible) well before each class party and offering to bring the safe alternatives yourself. Most moms will appreciate the help!

My question is: why is there so much food/sweet stuff at school? For example, I'm sending the V-Day cupcakes, but the school is offering small ice cream cups for the entire student body that day. It's a nice idea--a sweet treat from the PTO to the kids. They even sent home a note about this, and asked parents to call so they could offer allergic kids something else.

Well, that's progress, I guess. I did appreciate the note and the shout-out acknowledging that there are food allergies at the school (and judging from the number of EpiPens lining the shelves of the health office, there are quite a few!)

However, with the increase in food allergies, not to mention diabetes and just plain old "health awareness" about too many sweets for kids, I would like to see a lot less food used in celebrations.

Our school has taken steps in that direction--no one is allowed to bring in birthday food or pass food around at Halloween, etc. Frankly, I would be fine with that policy even if we didn't have food allergies in our family. Cavities, anyone?

What does your school do about holiday treats and how do you handle it? I know I'll be volunteering to be a Room Mom next year. How many of you have found yourself crowned with that coveted title? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment