Saturday, September 20, 2008

Some new information regarding food allergies, both medical and behavioral, caught my eye lately. For example, check out this month's Living Without magazine article. It deals with building children's immunity to allergenic foods like peanuts, by introducing controlled amounts of "peanut flour" into a child's diet. This is done partly under the supervision of medical staff, and partly at home. Click this link to read the entire article.
It sounds great in theory, but something about this also terrifies me. After all, we've been told that even very tiny amounts of peanut matter can trigger a life-threatening reaction. We also know that EpiPens, while wonderful to have, are not a guarantee against a severe reaction.

The article did not discuss children having reactions as a result of this study, but I wonder what they do when and if it does happen?? As a parent, I certainly would embrace a cure for my child's nut allergy, but I'm not sure I could participate in a study like this. For one thing, my daughter remembers her severe reaction very clearly and I'm not sure she would want to risk more trauma. Also, as a mother, giving my daughter anything with peanut in it, goes against both medical advice I've been given and against my protective instincts as a parent.

I wonder who among you out there has been involved with a study like this and if you have--how did it go for you? I've read about these types of immunotherapy for years but I don't know anyone who has personally acted in one of these experiments. So I'd love to hear insights on this.

The second article I read recently was in the September 1st issue of Newsweek magazine. It discussed risky behavior among preteens and teens who have all types of food-related medical conditions, including diabetes and food allergies. The article discusses the ways that teens rebel--a natural inclination for them (and for many of us, as a teen!) and how that is leading them into dangerous situations with food.

Teens are eating food without checking ingredients, leaving their EpiPens at home and other risky behaviors because they want to fit in with the crowd. This is totally understandable, but also very scary to hear! In fact, the teen food allergy issue is such a problem, that FAAN has a task force to help teens cope with their allergies and peer pressure. Kudos to them, but as parents, we need to reinforce safe behaviors early and often.

Most of you reading this blog have very young kids. Still, I think it makes sense for us to emphasize label reading, give them skills to politely refuse food and teach them the responsibility for carrying their EpiPens as is age appropriate.

We've been increasing my daughter's responsibilities for this as she gets older. At 8, she brings her Epi in a little bag with her everywhere, but she still needs to be reminded not to take candy from her friends. Even at her young age, she feels peer pressure to fit in.

Just like reading and saying no to drugs, I think we should ingrain in our young kids good safety habits regarding food, so much so that it becomes second nature. That will help make them much more secure and confident when faced with a group doesn't share their allergy concerns.

If your child has experienced any peer pressure yet, what do you tell them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment