Friday, July 18, 2008

Sorry to say, I did not get a very satisfactory response to my e-mail query on the confusing food allergy labels I encountered recently. Their corporate customer service e-mailed me that, in order to get information about a specific product, I need to ask the retail stores what is in their food.

Well, actually that's not what I asked. I didn't want to know about specific products, necessarily. I can read a label--so can all of you. We're skilled in that. My question to the store was: how do you go about determining what allergens you list on your labels? They chose not to answer that. Also, I highly doubt that the retail store workers would have the knowledge I was looking for, that is, how is the food processed and who determines how it's labeled a certain way and why.

So I am posing the question to them again and see what I get.

Just thought I'd let you know! Also, what's up with all the gluten-free stuff at Trader Joe's? I'm glad they are acknowledging gluten allergies but almost everything at TJ contains peanuts or tree nuts. And I love that place. Just be careful when you shop there...it's super-nutty!

Well, that's a whole other story! :) Hopefully, I'll get to the bottom of the allergy labels at the "gourmet food and cookware retailer." Everybody probably knows who that is, right?

Wish me luck! And all of you who are speaking up and asking questions at stores and restaurants, THANK YOU! We are making progress, I'm sure of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment