Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I recently found out that the new school that my daughter will attend in the fall does not have an "official" peanut-free table. However, the principal said she will work with us to accomodate her needs and that they have many students with peanut allergy.

Currently, my daughter sits at a peanut-free table with kids who have not brought peanut butter. This has been good from a safety standpoint, and not so good from a social standpoint, at least some of the time.

She is going into 3rd grade and certainly knows to avoid certain foods. I trust her. Also, she does not react if she smells peanut, but she doesn't like the smell. She's repelled by it, which is different than having an allergic reaction from it. I don't know if she'd feel uncomfortable if she sat with kids eating PB & J. She's done this on field trips and I know she's been OK with it. Also, someone watches her and all the staff know about her allergies. Obviously, we're going to have to work out the same deal at her new school.

I'm kind of pysched at the thought of her not being excluded from her friends, while at the same time I worry about her safety. But it got me thinking: with all the other "top 8" allergies on the rise, is it even feasible to have a "peanut-free table?" You'll also need a milk-free, wheat-free, egg-free and soy-free table at some point, right?

I'm not sure what we will propose to the principal. I was thinking of a making a "peanut-free" area of the table, but I don't know if that would make it better or worse for her.

What do you think? How have your schools dealt with these tables and/or multiple food allergies?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment